Thread: Speculation: It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved
View Single Post
Old
03-05-2013, 11:38 PM
luby3131

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
How do perennial playoff teams survive when they're always picking in the bottom 16? Picking in the top three is fantastic, we've obviously benefited from it, but pulling for your team to tank is absurd and disgraceful. We made the playoffs last year for the first time in a long time and picked Matheson in the first round. It's still early, but he seems like he's doing alright. Getting MacKinnon or Jones isn't going to fix this team. Good scouting and drafting regardless of draft position is what is going to get this team into the spotlight and a Stanley Cup final. Trust in Tallon. Let's Go Panthers!
They do it by developing a strong core, and surrounding that core with players in a supporting role. We're still in the process of building our core here in Florida. We have some nice pieces on the NHL team right now, but there needs to be more added to it, particularly in the top 6. Considering there are about 5 forwards in this years draft who seem like sure fire top 6 guys (Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, and Monahan) and others who could be top 6 guys if developed correctly (Nichushkin, Gauthier, Erne, Duclair, Mantha, among others) it makes sense for some fans to hope we tank and trade off some pieces for draft picks. This seems like a lost season with all the injuries anyway, unless the kids turn this around.

If I'm Tallon, I'd listen to offers for everyone on the current roster but the kids (Huberdeau, Shore, Gudbranson, Markstrom, and Robak). I'd call up Howden and Petrovic (when he gets healthy) from San Antonio to get them some experience. I'd sign a few undrafted NCAA free agents and give them a look at the NHL level, hoping to unearth the next Garrison/Conacher. The future is now and it's time to sit back and watch the young guys grow.