View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Then Colorado, Minnesota, St. Louis, Philly, Chicago, Boston pending success but less so than others are seeing massive growth at different times.

Detroit, NYR, Pitt are very successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Obviously the NHL fanbase is 99% white folk.

This isn't a racist comment but it may never change.

I remember last year a radio host talking about a blues sharks rating in the playoffs getting like a 11.6 or so. But like a 0.4 in black homes vs the rest white or other.

STL has 550k black people in the metro out of 2.5 mil or so.

I've known at least 50 black males in my life in various capacitys none watched hockey.
I can agree with this but I think it's a problem that's going to slowly evaporate. I can't think of many (if any) star players 15 years ago who were black. Now you're looking at Kane and Subban. Simmonds is having an exceptional year himself, and Ward is doing decent. Little Subban looks promising and I believe I've heard one time or another than the youngest might be the best of the three.

Add that to the fact that one of the likely top three draftees this year is black.

Obviously it's an issue, but I think as you see more black players come into the league and the league promote those players, you'll see the black audience start to tune in. And for the record, I think the NHL should've promoted the crap out of Kane back when they were in Atlanta.

However, also take into account the fact that Detroit is very highly populated by black people and still does very well financially and in local ratings.