View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Tough Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I can agree with this but I think it's a problem that's going to slowly evaporate. I can't think of many (if any) star players 15 years ago who were black. Now you're looking at Kane and Subban. Simmonds is having an exceptional year himself, and Ward is doing decent. Little Subban looks promising and I believe I've heard one time or another than the youngest might be the best of the three.

Add that to the fact that one of the likely top three draftees this year is black.

Obviously it's an issue, but I think as you see more black players come into the league and the league promote those players, you'll see the black audience start to tune in. And for the record, I think the NHL should've promoted the crap out of Kane back when they were in Atlanta.

However, also take into account the fact that Detroit is very highly populated by black people and still does very well financially and in local ratings.
Regarding the race issue, remember that nationally african-americans only account for 13% of the population. That number has remained consistent for generations. Logically, race *should* be a much bigger problem for the NBA than the NHL.

The group that the NHL needs to go after is latinos. They have already surpassed african-americans as the largest "minority" and their numbers continue to skyrocket. They are also a group that can, theoretically, do very well in hockey.

One last point; in Canada it is quite common for black guys to follow hockey, at least casually. Hockey fans are nowhere near "99%" white in places like Toronto and Vancouver, that's for sure. Immigrants don't follow it at all (or rarely do), but those born in Canada are just as likely to be huge fans as white guys are. Some of the biggest hockey fans I know in Toronto are Indian (as in from India) Arab, Chinese, etc.