View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 05:45 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
Only way he does that is if a deal can be made with Magnitogorsk which allows him to sign a short term deal with NYR without breaking his KHL contract.
I don't see why he wouldn't be able to get a new KHL deal next year if he exercises his NHL out provision now if he wanted one. I'd expect the real inquiry for him would be what would get him more money, keeping next year's KHL salary in his current contract, or getting paid for the rest of the NHL season + a new KHL/NHL deal for next year. I'd expect the Rangers would structure any deal he signs in the NHL this year with minimal salary and a signing bonus to counter the effect of the limited period he would be playing, so I would be shocked if he wouldn't earn more money from being paid by the Rangers this season (in addition to what he already earned in the KHL) + a new KHL/NHL deal next year.

If it was a multi-year deal in the KHL that he would be walking away from I agree it wouldn't make any sense for him, but he's only signed there for one more year, and there's no reason to believe he couldn't recoup the expected earnings from the next season by signing a new deal for next year.