View Single Post
03-06-2013, 08:08 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I hope the assets Homer sells off include Briere, Bryz (if possible), Kimmo, and the other older, veteran players only. I wouldn't mind seeing Coburn moved either if the return is good. We should get as many 1st rounders as possible in a draft as deep as this years IMO.
Brière is the most reasonably shopped veteran, but that will take a long, testy conversation with Holmgren about waiving his NMC. We've dissected the possibilities to death, but I'm unconvinced that he's as valuable in the eyes of other GMs to be bringing back a significant return. Maybe a 1st and a so-so prospect / player if a true bidding war starts.

I can't see Holmgren trading Bryzgalov for a number of reasons. First, it would be a repudiation of his and Mr. Snider's power play to sign Bryzgalov and to solve the goalie crisis for years. Second, it leaves (yet again) a gaping hole in goal. Where do you find a starter? The defense, at present, is too woeful to not have a top-notch goaltender behind them. Finally, who would be interested in Bryzgalov and his contract, particularly as long as the arguably better Luongo is there for the trading?

Timonen would have been an excellent trade asset for teams looking to make a playoff push. But then Holmgren had to mess this up by signing him to a $6 million extension. Maybe Timonen told Holmgren that he wouldn't waive to be dealt elsewhere. I don't think Timonen is worth $6 million anymore, and I doubt any of the other GMs do, either.

Moving Coburn is intriguing, but it would have to be D for D. As underwhelming as the Flyers defense has been, it would be much worse without him.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote