View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 10:21 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
so you are against hockey at Olympics? As we know, majority if not all players from euro leagues dont play at Olympics and dont play for clubs in national leagues either. So?
No, I'm not against hockey at the Olympics, far from it. A break once every four years for a special event is fine.

Quote:
If you dont have problem with OG break, why do you have problem with World Championship in february? Who says it must be one month break? Who cares about NHLers? Where is written that they would not participate? KHL has been in talks with NHL about this topic ....
It should be a one month break because coaches need some exhibition games to find the right roster, you can't play a league game on Wednesday, jump into a plane and play in the WC's opening game on Friday.

And I care about NHLers. The WC is a rare opportunity to see a lot of the best players in the world, I wouldn't like to lose that opportunity. It's not written anywhere that they wouldn't participate, but you're just fooling yourself if you think there is chance the NHL would agree to a mid-season break for the WC.

Quote:
European clubs want to create Champions League or any competition in Europe. When do they want to play it? During NT breaks when the best players are at EHT (or will be at Euro Championship)? Look, ET final is played during most prestigious EHT tourney ... yeah, great timing for ET final.. great for sponsors, fans, broadcasters etc. Really?
I consider the ET to be nothing more than an exhibition tournament, so I don't care so much about its timing. Of course, a real champions' league would be played with full rosters available, it shouldn't be played during NT breaks. With regular seasons being 50 to 60 games long, it should be possible to fit around 10 extra games without needing the national team breaks.

Quote:
President and vicepresidents of KHL said it correctly: current international calendar, World Championship in May and EHT breaks, are not only against interest of KHL but also interest of euro leagues.
I know you pretty much live for the KHL, but not everything has to be in its interest, or in the interest of all national leagues. International hockey is part of the calendar too, and both side need to make concessions so everything can work. I'm also frustrated when league play stops mid season, but I can see why NT coaches need to play exhibition games.

Quote:
KHL will expand, has infuence in IIHF and does not agree with current schedulling. Do tyou think that KHL will agree with such ridiculous ideas? And will be anything approved without permission/support of KHL? Not, it wont.
This opinion will probably come as a shock for you, but the KHL is just another European league, who may have more money available, but certainly shouldn't have more of a say at how things should work than all other leagues. If other leagues can work their schedule around the international calendar, there's no reason why the KHL couldn't.

Quote:
I am not naive, everything is about power/influence/money. Now, all 3 attributes are in KHL, the most powerful league in Europe. By powerful I mean hockey diplomacy... if you know how politics works, you can predict who will win this hockey battle..
That's unfortunate but true. However, national federation also have something to say, leagues will have to share the pie.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote