View Single Post
03-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Ever hopeful
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
No, I want him to not reach forward like that. Something that little kids are taught not to do by the boards.

Kaleta shoved him at the same time Richards started to lean forward to smack the puck into the corner. Thats why Richards went down so easily.

Here's the thing, watch any NHL game and there are dozen's of situations like the one Richards and Kaleta are in. One player heading to the boards for the puck and another player pursuing them from behind. In the overhwelming majority of those situations the pursuing player shoves the player they are chasing from behind with roughly the same amount of force Kaleta did. The difference is 99% of the time the player getting pushed is protecting themselves so they don't go sailing headfirst into the boards.

These shoves happen all the time in games. They can be dangerous because they rely on the player getting shoved to protect themselves. But to act as if what Kaleta did was some heinous act that is rarely seen in the game, like some are, is beyond absurd. Its a common play that only led to an injury because of Richards not protecting himself.

Thats why Bob Mackenzie tweeted this

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
If NHL wants to change how it views/deals with "push" from behind, count me in but it's too common play. Can't pick/choose when to apply it.
I don't see many saying what Kaleta did was some heinous act, most are saying he was wrong and some are arguing that Richards was in the wrong, those are the only two camps I see.

The only argument I see is between those who are saying that Richards is in the wrong and those who are saying the play was reckless.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote