03-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
<snip>

I would think when the NHL uses the term "grow the game" what they really mean is "make the NHL as popular in the US as possible". Given the size and wealth of the market that is hardly a bad idea or a bad thing for hockey overall. To be honest though I think by being so resistant to ‘integrating’ more into international hockey they are missing opportunities to "grow the game" in the US. Hockey can offer the US something that most other team sports, with any meaningful profile, can't... Relatively competitive and interesting international competition (unlike football) the US usually has a realistic chance of winning (unlike soccer) but isn't the overwhelming favourite to the point where it would be bigger news if they don't win (unlike basketball).

I would add that retaining a high level of interest in hockey in Europe serves a different need. Guaranteeing a sustained supply of hockey talent in as many countries as possible.

However, when it comes to paying for it all, the US/Canada market is the engine in the machine.