View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 01:22 PM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
If I ran the zoo, there would be one name on the untouchables list: Giroux. Hartnell would be close, but every other player on this team could be moved for improvement. That doesn't mean trading for the sake of trading or setting out to tear up the team and start again. If, for example, Voracek + 1st = Ryan, I make that trade. If Couturier + Coburn = Weber (in July), I make that trade. I wouldn't sell the farm (so to speak) for big names, but some creative packaging could enhance this line-up significantly.

I would start with Brière, of course, after convincing him to waive his NMC.

I'm not as phobic as some about 1st round picks. This team needs quality and quantity in the minor-league system. Restricting moves to an arbitrary 2–4-year window is short-sighted. Sure, a player like Gormley would be ideal to grow with the young players already on the Flyers, but the farm club needs some lifeblood, too, and there's no way of telling if good-great prospects who are 4-6 years away might be packaged for a player who would fit a "one player away from the Cup" need in 2-3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo
I'm fine with this if true, but I'd add Read to the untouchables. At 900k, he's gold.
There's little need to move Read, but if he could be converted to an equivalently valuable, low-cost defenseman, I'd do it.