Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Some questions I'd like fight fans to answer:

1. One participant has his helmet and visor on, one participant's helmet has come off -- should refs immediately stop the fight?
I don't believe so - at least not with today's rules. There may come a time where the NHL takes a more OHL-like approach to fighting and decides to intervene, but as of this moment, no, the refs should not be immediately stopping a fight because one guy lost his lid.

Quote:
2. A huge fighter attacks a much smaller guy who is unwilling to fight and so uses his stick for self-defence. Who is more wrong here?
The stick swinger is more in the wrong. That's a huge taboo, no matter who's coming at you. Turtle and let the guy take his penalties, but don't make things worse by slashing/spearing/hacking your opponent.

Quote:
3. Will fighting still be condoned by the NHL in 5-10 years? If not what's most likely to end it?
I don't know about the next 5-10 years, but ultimately, I do think fighting will reach a point where it isn't condoned (to which I read, if you fight, there will be suspensions/discipline, not just a 5 minute penalty). That point will come, in my opinion, if/when an NHL player dies as a result of injuries sustained in a fight.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote