*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)
View Single Post
03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
I should elaborate a bit on my sentiments on this team. I think they are excellent on paper, but have been plagued by a number of issues, most of which in my opinion point towards the coaching. At the risk of dwelling on the negative, I'll itemize those things that have been plaguing them here:
- A complete and utter lack of intensity and emotion witnessed in even kieled and almost robotic tempos every night
- A definite lack of toughness and physicality with little response to challenges and intimidation that allows opponents to play tougher and cockier than they are
- A stubborn insistence on a shadow and stick-check defence where opponents are rarely rubbed out or pushed out of danger areas. One false turn or missed stick check and it's scramble time with none of them trained to take the body to extinguish the crisis - meaning it ends with a good scoring chance usually
- BRUTAL shooting. High, wide, soft at the goalies chest, zero traffic, etc.
- BRUTAL power plays that seem to rely on peripheral puck movement followed by a poor decision that allows a clear, followed by 45 seconds of failed zone entries. Very few new ideas seem to be contributed.
- Poor ice time management. Players who show a spark continue to see limited ice time while plodding veterans get their ice time regardless.
- A seemingly complete lack of accountability. Players lolly-gagging back when odd-man rushes occur or after losing puck battles yet getting right back out for the next shift.
Almost all of what I've listed are fixable items. But it has to come from the top. This team absolutely has the necessary mix to do damage in the playoffs, but I have zero faith that they will.
View Public Profile
Tim Wallach's albums
Find More Posts by Tim Wallach