View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 02:41 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
All I'm saying is it's a function of the true (not the sound bites for the paper) feeling in the Blues' organization about Halak. If they don't believe he's the guy it's a terrible waste of money. And if they don't believe he's the guy how much worse could the consequences be of going with Elliott/Allen the rest of the season IF they don't believe in Halak's mental makeup, or health, or whatever.
I think you're grasping at straws a bit here. Halak isn't having a fabulous season, but he's playing a lot better than Elliott.

To me, the most damning moment was right after Halak was pulled last night, when Elliott came in, the body language of the team looked like they KNEW they were going to lose. They have zero confidence playing in front of Elliott. Between that moment, and the Dallas game, after having almost a month to try and pull it together, I just don't see how they have time with 26 games left to give Elliott more starts in the NHL this season unless there is no alternative.

I like Elliott, and I think he'll get back into form, but I'm not convinced he can do it this season in the role as a backup. The team's psyche is too fragile right now, which is its own issue, but solid goaltending is all the more important.

The one stretch where the team started to get back to playing the defensive game, aggressive forecheck, and quit running around on defense with everyone trying to do everyone else's jobs was the stretch when Allen was starting.

If Allen continues playing with confidence, and the team wins some games, I see Elliott being exposed to waivers when some of the forwards get healthy and need a spot back in the line-up. He may get another start before that happens, but I think he may have already had it. I'm really not sure anyone will pick him up....but I think the Blues are in a position where there is no more choice about the matter unless they're willing to sacrifice this season.

Silver lining: IF the team gets back to playing the Blues hockey we became accustomed to last season, they'll enter the post-season with little pressure on them. Maybe that allows them to have a better run?

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote