View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
First off, Crosby is NOT a defensive juggernaut. He is NOT in the same class as Toews and especially Dats defensively.
This is something that seems to be growing more and more exaggerated as this thread moves forward.
Sid is defensively responsible, a decent 2-way player but that's as far as it goes. He does NOT excel at defense.
I'm going to agree that Toews and Datsyuk deserve higher praise for their defense than Crosby (maybe even a lot more, because of how much credit I give to anyone who is even noticeably better than Crosby defensively), but I'm pretty sure I can't agree with him being simply "defensively responsible". He just does too many of the little things better than 90% of all players out there on the defensive side of the puck alone, has great body positioning/control, and simply reads the play way too well to be considered in the group below those who "excel at defense". I'll offer that I consider his decision-making/risk-taking (relative to Toews/Datsyuk, of course), despite the relatively few times it actually works against him, enough to slot him in just below those two.