View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Regardless of what you may think personally (and it seems there is little real thought that has gone into your position) we already have a Canadian head of state - Elizabeth the II Queen of Canada.

Since the law requires unanimity (the House of Commons, the Senate and each provincial legislative assembly per section 41 of the Constitution Act 1982) to make any constitutional change in relation to the office of the Queen and abolishing the Senate, short of a cataclysmic event such as the secession of Quebec, I do not see such unanimity as possible.
41. An amendment to the Constitution of Canada in relation to the following matters may be made by proclamation issued by the Governor General under the Great Seal of Canada only where authorized by resolutions of the Senate and House of Commons and of the legislative assembly of each province:
(a) the office of the Queen, the Governor General and the Lieutenant Governor of a province;
(b) the right of a province to a number of members in the House of Commons not less than the number of Senators by which the province is entitled to be represented at the time this Part comes into force;
(c) subject to section 43, the use of the English or the French language;
(d) the composition of the Supreme Court of Canada; and
(e) an amendment to this Part.
How hostile... There's a lot of thought that has went into my position. and the Queen is NOT Canadian. I already established before you interjected, that I realize the Queen is officially the Canadian head of State and Canadian Queen... not "just the British Monarch" ... but in reality, that is what she is... the British monarch. The whole thing REEKS of colonialism.

The very fact that you think it would have to come to our country being ripped apart (Quebec secession) Shows how much you respect the status quo. As well, I'm aware that provinces seats in the house of commons can be tied to their amount of seats in the senate. (can't have less seats in the house than in the senate)

So from the perspective of the senate, i could understand why Quebec would be hesisitant to sign off on any senate reform, unless they were guaranteed to continue to be over represented in the house of commons.

Bottom line, thinking that reforming the Senate, or abolishing the monarchy is "too hard", or "almost impossible" as you put it... is a bad way to think.

The very fact that the Queen selects who becomes PM, even if she respects our elections, is just wrong. Same thing with the Senate.

Bottom line, Canada's institutions of governance should be 100% Canadian. As it stands, we are nowhere close to being 100% Canadian... we have way too many ties to the British throne.

since you appear to consider yourself some sort of expert... what would happen to Canada if the Brits got rid of the monarchy? Would we be forced to get "creative", and make some changes?

would the abolishment of the monarchy in England, go beyond The Governer General... would it affect the senate, the house of commons, and many other levels of government?

It seems more likely the British would get rid of the Queen, before we would attempt to get rid of her, because are politicians don't have the balls to tackle constitutional changes.

Thanks for any respectful responses.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote