View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 06:19 PM
ITM

vCash: 500
One way to measure Gretzky's (and Lemeiux's) greatness is relative to their peers. Will we ever see a better player than Gretzky? is a little less piercing than, Will we ever see a player better than his contemporaries the way Gretzky was in his heyday? And I think the safe bet is to answer no.

60+ records that in some cases broke 30+ year old records and which still stand 30 years later. The differential in points from one GOAT to Gretzky is also anomalous. That Messier stands so close to Gretzky is in no small part Messier's own achievement...But there's an argument that suggests the second greatest point producer in the game wouldn't be there had he not stood so close to the greatest.

I think Pavel Datsyuk is the greatest talent since Jagr, who with Fedorov was the greatest since Lemeiux and he since Gretzky...but I think Datsyuk distinguishes in an exceptional way like perhaps only Fedorov (and Gilmour for a season or two) had.

But in terms of such a clear separation in production, I don't think we will ever see Gretzky's like again.