View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Sore Loser - Who do you see in say the 22- 35 range that would seem to fit with what JK is likely to want. I'm guessing his likes would be guys similar to his picks in St L. I'm thinking we get 3 picks somewhere in there and am trying to wean myself form the belief we get 3 in the top 16. Whatcha think?
That's a good way to start thinking, with the way the Kings and Rangers have been moving!

I mentioned Morgan Klimchuk in the old version of this thread, and I would absolutely spend an early second round pick on a player like that. He plays the game above and beyond what people expect from him, and I think he (quietly) has top-6 potential. Coming from the same program that's produced many mighty-mite forwards over the years (Jordan Eberle being one of them), every time I've seen this guy play, he's been very, very good. Dangerous every time he's on the ice.

As for the first rounders, a lot of it is going to depend on who falls to us. There is some serious talent in this draft, and two picks in the 22-30 range should be pretty valuable. Bo Horvat and Curtis Lazar are two similar types of players that could land in that range. Both are guys with big potential that play pro-style games, and both definitely fit the mold of JK-type picks. I think of guys like TJ Oshie in St. Louis, particularly when I watch Lazar.

As is typical, guys will fall below where they are expected to be picked, and some guys will rise up. If a guy like Anthony Mantha or Max Domi should see a little drop, we could still be fortunate enough to get one of them. As for risers, someone above mentioned Alexander Wennberg, and there's the potential that this kind of guy could jump into the top-20. Jason Dickinson of the Guelph Storm is a guy that's caught my attention recently also; has a big frame, good in all three zones, and in typical Jarmo fashion, will be a bit of a longer term, "project" type player that could pay off huge dividends. Think of a guy like Patrik Berglund.

Should be fun to see what happens either way. One thing's for sure - for the first time in our history, we have a GM that will actually be an asset at the draft table, instead of a concern.