Thread: Brooks
View Single Post
Old
12-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Kodiak

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Exactly.

Burke - we tried him once, and he was the worst playoff goalie we've had in over a decade. Hasn't won a playoff series since 88.

Kolzig - makes big money, Caps will looke for a nice return. Playoff history - Cup Finals in 98, in the 5 years since he was won just 3 playoff games.

Dunham - never played in the playoffs.

Thibault- never won a playoff series, and played in just 3 games in over the last 5 years.

None of the goalies out there represent a big upgrade over Robert Esche.
I wouldn't agree with you at all. I think the Flyers forwards and d-men are as good as any in league top to bottom, but goaltending has always been the Achilles heel. And Clarke never wants to address the issue fully. He'll go the bargain in an aging Hextall, or an aging Beezer, or an unproven Cechmanek instead of spending some real money on the most important position in the sport. The Flyers could go deep (and you have no idea how much I'd hate to see that while I'm living in Philly), but neither Esche nor Hackett are even considered bonafide #1 goalies by most of the league. How are they going to lead a team to the Cup?

If I were in Clarke's shoes, there'd be no way I'd have Hackett and Esche as my goalies after the trade deadline. I'd be looking at getting Cujo at a reduced price for a draft pick (who is IMO, the most proven playoff goalie out there, but people have short memories), or Kolzig (another I would list as a proven playoff performer), or Khabibulin if he really becomes available (I'd start by offering Handzus and working from there). If the last 6 years or so have taught you anything, it's that goaltending is not an area that you can take a gamble in and expect to go deep in the playoffs. It makes all the difference in the world.