Thread: Sochi 2014
View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Atas2000

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
It doesn't look good as far as goaltenders are concerned. I'm not confident about the current goaltenders, but I suppose Varlamov will get the starting spot. It's too bad that guys like Makarov and Vasilevski are too young and therefore not ready to compete in Sochi 2014.

At least there is a bright future with those two.
It actually does. There is a whole variety of goaltenders in the NHl to chose from. They don't play for good teams especially on defence so their stats might be not telling, but nonetheless even Nabokov is still in the mix. Anyway Varlamov can be considered the top candidate. There are also certaint htiga about his game that make him perfect for big ice. And as for big ice, a guy like Rinne for example struggled mightily outside the Nashville system and on the big ice.(As did Bryzgalov obviously) Bobrovsky is a little younger, but he's pretty much up there too. Khudobin needs a coming out too. He could easily challenge Varlamov and Bobrovsky in his age group if given the chance.

For Sochi I see a variety of combinations with only Varlamov being a lock, but not necessarily a lock as a clear cut no.1 starter. that should be decided even during the games.

Barulin and Koshechkin could get the nod for their big ice experience too. Make no mistake they are both great goalies.

And we shouldn't get ahead of the horse about young guys. They did look great on junior level, but there is a long road ahead of them before we can talk about them playing for the NT.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote