Old
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
The problem with Gagner + Eberle is money. Eberle already makes more than Yandle to begin with, and Gagner is going to want a healthy raise. The whole impetus behind trading Yandle, a player teams otherwise never consider trading, is to cut salary. The Coyotes need enough room under the budget to re-sign Boedker, OEL and Smith. Hanzal is not exactly chopped liver here, as others have pointed out. The Coyotes wouldn't trade him straight up for Gagner or Eberle, because it makes the team significantly worse, so there's your value calibration.

The Coyotes would be interested in Yakupov or RNH. They passed on MPS and Gagner for Yandle before. So it would take Gagner + Yakupov for Yandle and a sweetener like Rundblad (to play with Klefbom).

There's also a difference here between value and what it would take. It would take significant over-payment to pry Yandle or Hanzal out of Phoenix. Both of them together? Prepare for something painful. OEL is a completely different story. He just flat out isn't available, and you would have to blow Maloney's literal socks off in order for him to not say no. We're talking at least three bluechips from the Oilers. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but that's where we are. When you trade for a teams core, and they have no motivation to jettison that core, expect to pay out the ass.
Thanks for the logical answer.

I think then the logical response next time someone makes a thread like this is to say that we're not good trading partners.

I'm trying to imagine RNH going to Phoenix... and my mind just goes blank. I can't imagine it happening even if Phoenix overpaid despite the rocky season Hopkins is having.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote