Thread: Speculation: Trade Targets
View Single Post
Old
03-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by The McMafia View Post
I think, at least as the roster stands, that DW is on a three year "retooling" program. We're in year two right now. I think that next season is where we'll start seeing the end result. If the team gets into the playoffs and gets something done, that's a bonus.

A few games ago I was all for letting koala go, but I'm starting to believe the issues with the team are largely personnel related - players not willing to adjust their game or just not executing.

Hopefully DW is able to turn the impending UFAs into some new assets. The Clowe playing injured and Murray playing every day thing makes no sense unless the sole purpose is to protect the players you're going to hold onto.
The problem with the retooling theory is that next year is a salary cut year one way or the other because of the dropping cap. They will need a new top six forward and they won't have much cap space to get one. A trade will be tough without losing defensive depth. The goal needs to be getting deeper and not swapping depth around like they did with the Seto/Burns trade even though that was a good trade.

Until they get three lines of contributions, whether it's three scoring and two scoring and a shutdown, AND at least four good puck-movers (not adequate or average but good) then you're not going to contend. You're going to rely on luck to go anywhere and the Sharks don't have a lot of that...never have...never will.