Old
03-07-2013, 01:17 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

vCash: 500
Just wanted to throw this out there. I agree with pretty much all of it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I just don't know if Hodgson at this point could handle top 6 duties playing behind the Sedins because of his defensive inadequacies. Scoring at a 65 point pace with 1st line minutes means nothing if you're a liability. Look at Tampa Bay. All the scoring in the world but they're a bottom 5 team in the league because they can't keep the puck out of their own net.

Hodgson could probably do well in a sheltered offensive role and getting Sedin type minutes, but at his current level he's simply not good enough to be worth building a lineup around like the Sedins are. Maybe he'll get better defensively with age and experience so he can handle normal minutes without being a train wreck in his own end, but by the sounds of it patience wasn't something he had so that was never going to happen with the Canucks. He wanted top minutes now.

I think it would've been fantastic if he'd been willing to work his way up the Canucks lineup and work on his defensive game but the player has to want to do that and it doesn't sound like it's something he takes seriously based on his pro career and how he's performing in Buffalo.

And that all completely ignores all the other off ice issues between Hodgson's camp and the team. I can't imagine trying to negotiate this summer with a guy who'd burned through 3 different agents and who was presumably willing to force himself off the team so he could set himself up for a better 2nd contract. Not to mention his dad sounds like a nutcase. This was a guy who called up Elliotte Friedman and harassed him just because Friedman implied that Hodgson's family was too involved one night on HNIC.

Though I better not say any more, maybe Hodgson's dad will create an account on HFBoards and send me some PMs.