Old
03-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death Arcana

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
But the thing is, people aren't seeking out streams and league info until they're already hooked. So unless they're picking a team at random and then pursuing their matches, their formative experiences with the sport are going to come from what they see on TV every week. The number of devoted Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs fans in the US shows that it's not all about titles... just a team that's good enough to be on American TV on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.
I have to admit that my Spurs preference came from their a.) never actually meeting a Tottenham fan in my life before that point...I hated the idea of fans picking good teams that they had no connection to and b.) that I could follow the team somewhat regularly. Being able to semi-regularly see their games most certainly played a role there. I'm more familiar with them than most of the European teams that I like more, just because of their availability. As much as I'd like to say I follow AGF the most it's pretty hard to follow them here.

They're the only European team that I root for that I have no real connection to...but it's hard to like soccer and not have an English team to follow.

FWIW the other teams I follow (some more than others)...
Aarhus Gymnastikforening (AGF) - Studied abroad there in a season they got relegated. First soccer game I ever saw live was at NRGi Park and it did a lot to sell the game to me.
Kuopion Palloseura (KuPS) - Kuopio is my adopted third home.
Bayern München - My family comes from the mountains around Munich.
FC Barcelona - Three-fold...a.) Barcelona is tied for my favorite city I've ever been to and b.) the vast majority of Spaniards that I studied abroad with were from Madrid and c.) I ****ing hate Cristiano Ronaldo.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick