View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 03:58 AM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Hmmm...I like the early results of my system. It seems to handle pre-expansion guys like Boucher, Stewart and Ullman in a way that more closely conforms to the established consensus on these players, while pushing 80's stars Stastny, Hawerchuk and Savard out of the top-20, which I think is also appropriate. I also like that it has Beliveau ahead of Dionne, and with a little gap, and that it has Gretzky relatively further ahead than that "other" system.

Nice work, BBS. Keep it up.

edit: cutting the analysis down to top-7 seasons would probably remedy the strangeness of seeing Joe Sakic's name ahead of Howie Morenz, which is about the only clunker I can see with the results so far, so long as one slaps a fat war years asterisk on Bill Cowley. Like I said, top-10 seasons is biased in favor of modern players with great scoring longevity, of whom Joe Sakic is pretty much the poster child. Cutting the analysis down to top-7 seasons would also pull up the numbers of guys like Max Bentley and Marty Barry, who both looked suspiciously low on seventies' list (not sure yet where they fall in my rating, but unless they show up very soon, they are too low, IMO). It's just not realistic to expect pre-expansion (and especially pre-war) guys to have had legitimate ten season peaks.
I think seeing Ron Francis' name over Peter Forsberg's is another clunker, and another one that will likely be remedied by limiting it to best 7 seasons. And as fun as it is to see Esposito over Lemieux, I imagine a best 7 will put Mario back on top.

This way does seem to handle pre-expansion players better than the numbers seventieslord posted though.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-07-2013 at 04:07 AM.