View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 09:13 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
It is a good debate. My inclination is to say no to a jersey ceremony but an obvious yes to the team's Hall of Fame. Mark Howe was overwhelmingly the franchise's best defenseman and it was mainly his contributions with the Flyers that lifted him into the Hall of Fame. That isn't necessarily true with Recchi, his achievements were comprehensive and not limited to one team. The argument, too, that he is in the Hall of Fame is interesting but there are other Hall of Famers who played for the Flyers that do not have jerseys retired (Hawerchuk, A. Stanley, probably Pronger some day, etc.) so I would concentrate on what Recchi did as a Flyer: would those accomplishments have earned him a place in the Hall of Fame? My guess is no. Also, just one opinion, but Rick MacLeish accomplished more as a Flyer than Recchi -- he was the NHL's best offensive player for two consecutive playoffs and his absence from 1976 (along with Bernie Parent) possibly prevented a third straight win. He wasn't a Hall of Famer but he was, just an opinion, a more accomplished Flyer and his jersey is not retired. And no, that isn't a recommendation to have it honored in such a way.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote