View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Never said he was. Not once. Antropov is overpaid.

He's worth a helluva lot more than 1 million though.

I'm bored, so let's go through your post then.

We can start easily with the fact that Antropov is not earning 4.75 million this year. In case you missed it, we had this thing called a lockout this season. So all players did not earn a full season paycheck. So toss your money per point crap out the window as well.

How about we talk about how tragically flawed that logic is then. Last I checked there is 1000x more to the game of hockey beyond the amount of points put up. Don't see players like Paul Gaustad, Sami Pahlsson, Brian Boyle, etc putting up points, yet they are very valuable players. The game of hockey involves many different aspects of the game.

Antropov is the smartest forward on the team, hands down. He knows where to be on the ice, his positioning is great. He is the only C on the team with the smarts, positioning and size to shut down opposing teams best players. His stick is very active in the D zone, makes good reads, and is therefore effective in the defensive zone. 2nd among Jets forwards in blocked shots, due to that.

How about the fact that he is the only forward on the team that agitates and gets under the skin of opposing players. He likes to yap, and take a few liberties with opposing teams players, particularly star players. That is a talent nobody else on the Jets has. At all. Oh yeah, one hit away from being 3rd among forwards in hits, behind only Kane and Burmistrov. How about that?

Wins board battles. One of the few on the team that does.

He is no longer a top 6 forward, and he is no longer worth the 4.5 million a year deal he signed. But he is still hugely valuable as a 3rd line forward that is very smart defensively, can chip in offensively, and can move into the top 6 when injuries hit bad. That is valuable.

He will get a 2-3 year deal at 1.75-3 million this off-season, no problem. Some team is going to want him to be their #3 C/RW. Bank on it.

Then there should be a pretty strong market for him when the trade deadline rolls along. If I'm Chevy I try to parlay him into some valuable assets and if he truly likes the player he can try to bring him back at a much more affordable cap hit next season. Asset management