View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I think next years cap is going to make it tough to find value for Stastny. On the other hand (stop me if I'm screwing up the new CBA rules) trading him at the draft where we can eat some of the cap space for next year may make more sense.
We can eat part of the contract, and I don't think his cap hit is going to be all that big of an issue. The teams that need a #1C are not in cap trouble. The team with the most payroll already tied up for next year that could need Stastny is Buffalo. They are at ~50m, so they have 14m in cap room to get 7-8 players under contract. In a trade, I would guess that the Avs take back 3m in salary. So in the end a team like Buffalo would have ~10-11m to fill out their roster, easily doable when they are mostly bottom end players. Then you combine that with the fact that teams can amnesty players in the offseason to unload contracts like Komisarek without having any cap hit. There is plenty of room for Stastny's salary under the cap for the teams that want him. If he had 6.6 m for 4-5 more years, it would be an issue.