View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
What makes you think McIlrath's upside is Pronger?

Pronger was a ppg player in his only two years in junior and is going to be a hall of famer. That is unrealistic expectations for McIlrath and he hasn't shown anything that to point to a similar sort of progression as Pronger had. It's probably a stretch to say that McIlrath has #1 defensemen upside.

I'm not downplaying McIlrath as a prospect, but that is unrealistic expectations given that Pronger is one of the best defenders of his generation and there are many prospects showing more promise than McIlrath and there the chances are that none of them can achieve what Pronger did in his career. You could even argue that Weber, one of the top defenders in the league, isn't at Pronger's level, so I don't how McIlrath has done anything to make you think his upside is that of one of the premier defenders in the league.
The argument (from the Rangers) in drafting him as high as they did was that he was a very late bloomer who only came into his own in the months leading up to the draft and was on a sharp development curve and that the offense would come. That curve has since been significantly slowed by injuries.

Having said that, please understand: I didn't like the pick then and I still don't now. I was stunned and dismayed they didn't take Tarasenko, precisely because I think it is incredibly unlikely that McI reaches the potential the Rangers claimed he has.

I hope I'm wrong.