View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
The QualComp usually confuses me because guys who are basically attached at the hip each shift don't always have the same (or even similar) QualComp ratings.

For instance, Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz are Crosby's every game linemates. Their current QoC score is 0.005, each. Meanwhile, Crosby's QoC is -0.019. This confuses me for two reasons (that aren't really connected)

1-How do their scores differ so significantly from Crosby's, when they're regular linemates? Keep in mind the above is their QoC at 5 on 5, so it doesn't take into account any PP time or PK time.

2-How is Crosby's score so low when he seems to always be matched up head-to-head with the other team's top line? Every time the Pens play Tampa, he's head to head with Stamkos. Same with Philly and Giroux. Not only that, but the opposition coach always puts their best defensive pairing on the ice against him. So why does he have the 5th worst QoC on the Pens (for players with 10 or more games played)?

This is what confuses me about these advanced stats. Sometimes the numbers don't match up with the "eyeball" test.
1. Sid may take longer shifts, or he may be double-shifted in special situations. Plus the difference is very small, I wouldn't call it significant.

2. While Bylsma might want Crosby out against Stamkos, Boucher hardly wants Stamkos out against Crosby. Opposing coaches are likely sending out their shutdown-units against him and these usually have very low Corsi Rel.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote