View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 11:55 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Really? I don't remember seeing that. Not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember that.
There were no conditons noting that a 35+ contract could not be bought out in the amnesty buyout period. He can't be bought out because he hasn't been cleared to play.

Conditions of the amnesty buyout:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN
This was all captured in a letter from Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly to the NHLPA on Tuesday. Here are the details from that letter:

(a) All teams are eligible to exercise a maximum of one buyout before the season starts, and that buyout would count against the allotted two amnesty buyouts per team.

(b) In order to be eligible to be bought out now, the player must have a cap hit of at least $3 million.

(c) Before a player can be bought out, he must be placed on waivers by Thursday January 17, 2013 (Both Gomez and Redden have been placed on waivers).

(d) The player has to consent to being bought out by Friday, January 18, 2013.

(e) A player being bought out gets paid his salary for this season (pro-rated to account for the compressed schedule).

(f) The player's cap hit still counts against the team buying out the player. So the Gomez contract for this season will count against the Canadiens salary cap. If the player is sent to the minors before the buyout, the team enjoys a $900,000 discount on the cap hit. Both Redden and Gomez were sent to the minors first, so their cap hits have been discounted to $5.6 million and $6.5 million, respectively.

(g) All buyouts will count against the player's share of revenue.

(h) The NHL and NHLPA settlement has been agreed to on a 'without prejudice' basis. That means that either side can't use it against the other side in any future legal proceedings or as a precedent of any kind. The legal effect of this deal is restricted to this subject matter – and that's it.
Amnesty buyout also cannot be used because the season has started; it was intended for each of the next two off-seasons.