View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
The fact Gabby isn't a factor on a shift by shift basis didn't stop his 40 goals from being absolutely integral to our godawful offense last season. Not to mention when he IS a factor on a shift to shift basis, like he was basically in the Flyers game, he still gets dumped on for being "lazy."
Uh I thought he had a good 2nd period but I'd say he was far from being a factor at even strength on a shift-by-shift basis throughout the Flyers game... He was invisible the entire 1st period and I didn't notice him too much in the 3rd.... He tends to score in bunches and then goes quiet for stretches at a time.... He's shut down easily by teams like Pittsburgh and doesn't tend to elevate his game against the stronger opponents when we need him to.... The main problem is that he is not good 1-on-1 and does not stick-handle well enough to beat players and generate his own scoring chances. His speed is only maximized when he has a clear path to the net, not when he has to go through or around players who stand in his way. He needs to be set up for scoring opportunities and when he does get set-up, he's usually good at finishing - but when his head is not in the game and he's not 'thinking' the play very well, he's not finding himself getting open to create those chances very often.

He has not been very effective or reliable in the post-season, yes I know he has played injured at times but he doesn't seem to be the type of player who elevates his game when faced with the strongest adversity. I have serious reservations about his game and his ability to contribute in the playoffs.... I think the source of his inconsistency is mental as opposed to physical. I'd like to see the Rangers explore trading him in the off-season and looking to shore up their offensive depth via the return in that trade plus exploring free agent options...