View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 11:59 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
But even with that, he doesn't produce like Gaborik. If you cannot convert on the chances you and your line mates create, than it doesn't matter how many chances you create. The end goal of a shift is to put the puck in the net.

Throughout Gaborik's career he has played with mediocre talent, similar to Nash (he didn't have much help with the Wild and do we forget Christiansen centering for him here in NY?). And despite that, throughout his career, he has produced vastly more than Nash.

It's going to take a lot more than 20 games for me to say it's time to pack up Gaborik.

First season with the Rangers; 5th in goals / 10th in points. Third season with the Rangers; 3rd in goals / 15th in points. At the end of the day, whether he is a "ghost" or not, 40+ goals is too much production to ignore, and he's been too important to our offense for him to get that kind of criticism because of a small sample.

And whose to say he can't be a big playoff performer? He had a great season with the Wild one year. Last year, he wasn't as bad as everyone made him out to be, especially given a labral tear in his shoulder. And what did Nash do in his only playoff experience? Zilch.

Nash is top-10 in the NHL in terms of flash. But to ever be considered a top forward, he's got to do more than get 30 goals / 55-60 points. And like I said, poor line mates isn't an excuse, Gaborik has had that experience on offensively depleted teams too.
Umm parting ways with Gaborik is inevitable due to salary cap concerns..... Nash is youner, less injury prone, and has the longer contract. We can't afford to have so much cap spaced tied up in 3 forwards and still pay the rest of our promising young players and established core guys. If you look at the Rangers contract situation we have A LOT of key players who will be needing new contracts over the next 2 seasons.... Whether we keep Gaborik for one more season or not, I think it's inevitable that he's a cap casualty and the Rangers will not be in a position to re-sign him (they might not even want to).

Gaborik is simply not a consistent nor reliable playoff performer and I'm not sure how anyone could suggest otherwise.... He doesn't elevate his game when you need to rely on him the most. Scoring hat tricks and multi-goal games in the regular season does not lessen my concerns about his ability to perform and deliver in the post-season...