View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
hitmen19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
I don't know, Larry Robinson, for example, sounded quite patriotic to me in the interview he gave during the 1979 Challenge Cup (G3, between periods 1 and 2). But maybe you know better how he or the other NHL All-Stars felt! Also, when you consider the comments by the Canadian broadcasters after the 6-0 blowout (e.g. Dick Irvin, jr: "We beat them in 1972 and 1976 and now they've beaten us"), it again sounded like they took it very seriously indeed.

But it's good that there are people in 2013 - who were not involved in any way - telling THE TRUTH that it meant absolutely nothing; just a little exhibition.

Edit:
Not sure even myself, what to think about the Challenge Cup. However, I can say that there is not a single thing suggesting that it was treated like an All-Star game or anything close to it back then. Also, there was definitely a lot of the Canada vs USSR cold war thing involved; e.g. were Valery Kharlamov and Vladimir Golikov (possibly the best Soviet player in the first 2 games) injured purely by coinsidence? There was certainly no Clarke slash per se, but I still doubt it.
Plus it was better hockey than in 1972 (pace, passing, skating).
I didn't say they didn't care to win, the athletes that play at that level want to win every game they ever play. Of course they wanted to beat the Soviets back then.
I said, First of all, its not team Canada. Say what you want, but Canadian teams that enter tournaments take into account checking lines, 4th line energy guys and such when putting a team into a tournament to win. The challenger cup teams are a collection of nhl allstars. yzerman was left off the 87 and 91 canada cup teams for guys like tocchet, propp, sutter, graham etc. no one would ever say that those guys were more skilled, but you need those guys to win tournaments. So to say an team just made up of allstars in an exhibition of nhl players, vs a team built to win a tournament, where by they would have a training camp, and taking into consideratin how the line up is going to match up vs other teams is totally different.
If you don't agree, lets just make team canada for Sochi, the top 14 scorers in the nhl at the time, because i guess you think an allstar team should be sent