View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 01:01 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
More on Orr--Orr fought occasionally but he wasn't on the level of toughness with Park. On the Bruins team he played for fighting was a rite of passage (they weren't called the Big Bad Bruins for nothing) and every single one of their players were expected to be willing to drop the gloves. The Rangers Stanley Cup team was super tough but it wasn't necessary for guys like Leetch, Zubov or Kovalev to ever have to resort to that. In any case when I said that Leetch reminded me of Orr I didn't mean to say he was as good. It's a hard to qualify players of one era to another in any case. The thing to keep in mind with Orr is he absolutely revolutionized the game pretty much from the moment he first put his skates on NHL ice as a 17?-18? year old. Defensemen before him did not take the chances that he did. Winning scoring titles--putting up 100 point seasons were even unheard of for forwards. He singlehandedly changed the game profoundly even moreso than Gretzky would later on.
Orr fought Park in a playoff game at MSG. Granted it was more of a mutual show of respect wrestling match.

I used to work for an auction house and we sold a film of Orr playing in juniors with Oshawa. It was like watching Michael Jordan on a basketball court against 5 year-old girls. Then again, Orr was so much better than any Nhl player at the time.

My favorite stat of his was his going plus 100 in a season. I doubt that one will ever be broken.