View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 04:17 PM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I detest your logic as to the Stanley Cup win being a deciding factor in determining a player's overall worth. I saw it used by many other fans when talk of Bourque and especially Hasek came up. Besides Orr, Bourque was possibly the equal of any defenseman I ever saw. Yet, I knew some who said he was good but he never won while with Boston. Nonsense.

The bizarre one was when people said the same thing about Hasek while he was in Buffalo. To me, Hasek was head and shoulders over any goalie I ever saw. All of those Vezinas should have made that abundantly clear.

The only reason Graves was retired was because his team won and his three buddies had already received the honor. Park was one of the all-time greats of the game. Graves was a good player and a great guy but was nowhere near the talent of Park. It is a joke that his number was retired and Park's was not.

Read any book about the greatest players ever to play and Park will be in that book. No book will include Graves' name.
Detesting is up to you but Brad Park--as great as he was--never led his team to the cup and Brian Leetch did. Brian Leetch was the best player in that Stanley Cup playoffs which is something Brad Park never was. Against the Bruins in the 72' finals Park was undressed by Ace Bailey (a 4th line Bruins winger who btw was a passenger on one of the planes that crashed into the towers on 9/11) for a game winning goal after the Rangers had come from a few goals behind in one game. If I remember correctly he was also on ice when JP Parise scored a few seconds into overtime to knock the Rangers out of the playoffs a couple years later. Park had his moments where he failed big time and he never did win a cup--either with the Rangers, Bruins, Wings in an over 20 year career. A very deserving HOF'er nonetheless but sorry I tend to see the warts too.