View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 05:00 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...defense-flyers

This summary is basically saying that coots is a stud on defense, and the role he plays allows for little offensive success.
Meh, not necessarily sure that's true. Among those with a higher Corsi Rel QoC: Jumbo Joe, Datsyuk, Kulemin, Duchene, PA Parenteau, Grabovski, Landeskog, Franzen, Henrik Sedin.

There's some serious offensive dynamos there.

Landeskog, Grabo, and Kulemin are all right there in Defensive Zone starts too and all have more PPG than Cooter.

I'm a big Couturier fan, how can you not be a fan of this level of defense out of a 20 year old? That being said, I have to agree with the OP that I've been generally unimpressed with his scoring prowess. He's made some nice passes, flashed some good vision, but his offensive positioning, nose for the puck, shooting, skating, and stick-handling have all left something to be desired this year. Some of that can be explained away by the lack of linemates and the competition he has faced, but I still think we're at a point where we're talking more about a 50 point 2 way dynamo than we are a 70 point #1C who can also completely shut-down opponents.

Most people at the draft had Couturier as a very safe pick, touted his defensive game and said he'd likely be a good 2nd line center. Some said #1C potential, others said #3C w/ avg #2C upside, but the consensus / the majority said that he was an elite defensive #2C.

Flyers fans in general jumped on the #1C projections, locked in mononucleosis as the only reason why Couturier slid in the draft, and have refused to move off the "we stole Couturier" party line ever since.

I'm not worried that Couturier is the next Marcel Goc, I think his offense is clearly better than that, but I also think the Eric Staal comparisons are absurd, as is the idea that Giroux should be bumped to the wing for Couturier to center our 1st line.

I see Couturier as an elite defensive #2C who averages 20g-30a-50pts. Maybe touches 60 pts in a career year. Can't see the 70 pt projections some around here are running wild with. Can't see him as a #1C either.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote