View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The schedule is messy as well, I hate unbalanced schedules. Even when it goes to 32 teams (which has got to be the ultimate plan) it is awkward to get a balanced schedule.
The issue with the unbalanced schedule seems to be based on the insistence that each team play more than just a home-and-home with the teams from the other division in their conference. I think Pocket Nines' Option #1 makes perfect sense:

Option 1: Play home and home with each eastern conference team (2x16 = 32 games) + six division games against six division opponents (6x6 = 36 games) + a home and home with the Pacific teams (2x7 = 14 games).

If the playoffs are going to be based on divisional standings, I would hope that there would be more divisional games. Sure, it might get repetitive seeing some of the same teams over and over again, but at the same time, those are the ones you want to play down the stretch in order to beat them and assure your team of a playoff spot.

When the realignment gets "re-visited" in 2015 (i.e. when the NHL adds two more expansion teams to get four 8-team divisions), I can see something like this (using P9's Option 1 as a framework):

For scheduling purposes, each division is broken into two 4-team geographically-adjacent "subdivisions" (cue the Rush song)

Play six division games against three subdivision opponents (6x3 = 18 games) + four division games against four opponents in other subdivision (4x4 = 16 games) + a home and home with the rest of the NHL teams (2x24 = 48 games).

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote