View Single Post
Old
03-07-2013, 10:00 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
This team is a mess right now. There is a good foundation in place though. When you consider there's Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, B. Schenn, Couturier, Grossmann, L.Schenn in place, that's not a bad foundation to build around. Add in Laughton, Cousins, Stolarz and Gostisbehere and there's a real solid foundation in place. With that being said, there's work left to do.

I'm hoping Holmgren goes nuts and decides to unload everyone but those guys listed above. After tonight's debacle, Bryzgalov can no longer be relied upon or defended with regards to his play. Yes, the mess of a defensive system the Flyers use certainly doesn't help, but he's being paid a lot of money to rise to the occasion and he's failed to do so. He needs to be bought out in the off season. Sign a guy like Jimmy Howard to be the top guy and sign Anton Khudobin to be the back up. That allows Stolarz the time he needs to develop.

As for the defense, the Flyers desperately need to draft defenders. Look at Pittsburgh. As much as everyone on here despises them, they have a fantastic pipeline of defenders. Despres, Harrington, Maatta, Pouliot, Morrow and Dumoulin is a disgustingly rich pipeline they have. The Flyers need that.

Depending on where the Flyers finish, they're going to have a very nice group of defenders to choose from - Nurse, Pullock, Morrissey, Zadorov, and Ristolainen should be the defenders they're looking at. No wingers, no centers. They need defenders. The five of those guys are lead defenders that the Flyers can use to build the defense around. You can't go wrong with any of those guys. The defensive depth in this year's draft is one of the highest in quite some time, so I don't see any problems with also landing a top defender in the 2nd round as well. Robert Hagg, Mirco Muller, Ian McCoshen, Matt Murphy and Tom Vanelli can all be had in the 2nd. Two premium defenders should be a must for the Flyers this draft.

Finally, it's time for a new head coach and a new system. I have no problem with playing an offensive system, but I'm tired of the lack of defensive discipline this club shows. I'm also tired of the way he rewards ice time to players. Schenn and Couturier with less ice time than Briere? Really? I watched Giroux's interview and it's clear - Laviolette has lost the locker room. It's got to be toxic in there right now.

As for Holmgren, he's got to be on a tight leash. I know Clarke is a confidant, but I'm wondering if Snider will fire Holmgren and have Clarke run the show temporarily while they look for someone out the organization who can bring a fresh approach. I know some will say "retread", but to me, Hextall in LA would be the guy I'd want them to bring in and be the GM.

Anyways, enough of my rant. Tonight was the last straw. I hate the word "tank", but play out the season, rebuild in the off season and be ready for 2013 - 2014.