Thread: Value of: Ales Hemsky at the Deadline
View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 06:10 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
I think it behooves the Oilers to try and keep Hemsky. He's been an Oiler since being drafted and he's scoring now with better talent around him again. The key is to stay healthy of course.

However, I wouldnt be surprised if a team comes calling What helps Hemsky is that if you acquire him it's not just a rental, you get him for next year and can fully evaluate whether you want to extend him for say another 3 or 4 yrs at that point.

While I'm extremely wary of Hemsky's fragility at times, I would not be stunned to see Lou Lamoriello and the Devils at least calling the Oilers over the next month or so. There were rumors the Devils were calling the Oilers about Hemsky last season before he resigned and he'd be a sensible fit, considering they need another Top 6 winger and some scoring and he'd join a fellow Czech in Elias already on the team.

Just not sure the Devils have what the Oilers would want. Devils have to surrender a 1st one of these next two years, so I'm not sure they would be willing to surrender it this year. More likely the Devils go shopping in the rental aisle this year.

Hemsky is actually not fragile. In fact somewhat the opposite.

For most of his career the guy took a major pounding in good part because it was pretty well known that if you stopped Hemsky you stopped the Oilers. He has had a number of minor injuries but typically came back more quickly than anticipated. The fragility tag comes from the fact that he missed a lot of games in two years running due to labrum tears in both shoulders.

Tears like these have nothing to do with being fragile. They are very common hockey injuries and in reality could happen to any player on even the most innocent of plays. Players can play with them for long periods of time, even at a high level. But they often cause chronic pain. Typically that is when the decision to have surgery is made.

Recovery is roughly 5 to 6 months so if a player has surgery immediately after the season ends typically he is ready at the start of the next season for a non-playoff team or they may miss a few games the next year. However the longer you rehab the shoulder the better the long term prognosis.

Hemsky played with both tears for a long time. But since surgery had a high probablity of fixing the problem, with the Oilers pretty much out of the running they shut him down. The first year he had 22 points in 22 games before his surgey. Prior to the second surgery he was actually playing some of the best hockey he had played in years despite the tear. Had the Oilers been a playoff contender he probably plays the rest of the year and likely hits 65-70 points (he had 42 in 47 when they shut him down).

But it is because he had his surgery early that he missed so many games. The Oilers could have delayed things giving him less time to recover and he would have far less games missed. But this may have also increased the possibilty of complications down the road.

He came back last year and experienced some issues with scar tissue, which is common. So he sat out a few games. Since then he has played full time with no issues. He has been rocked on a number of occasions with no obvious damage. Right now he is really no more of an injury risk than any other player in the league.

Last edited by Fourier: 03-08-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote