View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Crayton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
If PHX moves to QUE, I think that at first what will happen is that Colorado will move to the Pacific, and QUE will play in the Midwest. Sorry, Nordique fans, but I think that is the reality.
I'm guessing this too. If an ETZ team has to be in the West, it will be the Quebec Coyotes.

I also think the 14-16 split is acceptable to the PA because of the sheer geography and the largess of teams in the East. It was the lack of wildcards in those small 7/8 teams conferences that the PA couldn't accept last time around.

Two things I'd look forward to as this plan moves forward:
1) Fixing the quasi-divisional playoff into something more concrete and "fair" and
2) Revisiting the scheduling matrix for only 2 interdivisional games in the West and either less in the East as well or an increase to 3 or 4 eastern divisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The only real question about how the matchups will work is on the cross-over. So, for example, let's say this is the scenario:

Atlantic
Rangers 109
Pittsburgh 108
Philadelphia 103
New Jersey 102
Washington 92 (38 ROW)

Central
Boston 102 (40 ROW)
Detroit 102 (39 ROW)
Florida 94
Ottawa 92 (35 ROW)

The matchups would be
Rangers vs Washington
Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia

Boston vs New Jersey
Detroit vs Florida

Ottawa would miss.

The only thing we don't know is what would happen if Washington had 91 points. In that scenario, do both Ottawa and New Jersey cross-over? Or if the top 4 in each division match the top 8 in the conference, the divisional matchups stay intact? I hope it's the latter, personally.
Yeah, I hope it is the latter. As MNNumbers wrote, the points would show Detroit receiving a benefit for finishing behind Boston, which seems/is counter-intuitive. That is why I think conference rank should be considered:

Rangers (109) vs. Washington (92)
Pittsburgh (108) vs. Florida (94) CROSS-OVER
Philadelphia (103) vs. New Jersey (102)
Boston (102) vs. Detroit (102)

Last edited by Crayton: 03-08-2013 at 01:00 PM.