View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Letang dominates the game 5 on 5 like no other D in the League. That matters much more than being a top PP QB. You can always trade him if things don't work out, as their are plenty of teams out there that would gladly hand him 8 million a year as an UFA.

Figure on 7 for Letang, and 9.7 for Geno, the way Shero manages the Cap, and with all the cheap D assets coming through the system, we will still be able to ice a fairly complete team.
You don't pay a defenseman $7M/yr without at least being a competent PP guy. Letang leaves a Hell of a lot to be desired when it comes to his play with the man advantage. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and hope he retires a Penguin, but for an insane cap hit like we're talking, especially with the cap dropping, he had better step his game up in terms of decision making and power play production/efficiency.

And honestly, I'd be damn surprised if there were plenty of GMs willing to throw $8M/yr at Letang. Suter and Weber got insane deals this off-season before we knew the cap was dropping, and they were both involved in massive bidding wars.