View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
honourable mentions to Richard, Geoffrion, Plante & Wayne Gretzky. Nice try fellas'.
It's a little hard to judge Richard by one game, don't you think? Similarly I think it's quite a stretch to call Plante a bad coach when his team finished better than they had the year before, in the only year he was ever head coach.

Geoffrion too wasn't a bad coach by any means, really. In Atlanta Geoffrion coached an expansion team full of no-names and also-rans to better records than their expansion cousins (the Flames had over twice as many points as the Islanders did in their first season) and to a playoff spot in only their second season. Granted his times in New York and Montreal were brief but it wasn't as though he was fired for poor performance, he simply quit due to his health. You could argue the circuses created around his hirings as coach in Montreal and New York and subsequent departures made the situations in those cities worse, and thereby by extension made him a bad coach, but I think that's pretty thin reasoning.

Gretzky wasn't a very good coach but I wouldn't go as far as to say he's an honourable mention for "worst coach ever".

Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote