Old
03-08-2013, 02:53 PM
nelli27
Danny Gallivan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
Did you mean to direct that at me?

The money I'm talking about is in regards to London making a lot of money and as a result has more money to pay off the league with to "win" the hosting gig. My point I was trying to get at is the league punished Windsor for using it's money advantage to treat some players better, and that is against the rules. But London can use their financial advantage over everybody else in the league to offer the league the most money to buy the hosting gig.

So the league is saying - You can't use a financial advantage you might have to treat players better/improve your team, but you can use your financial advantage when you're offering us money to win favor.
Can you not see the error in your argument?
Your argument is premissed on your understanding of "financial advantage". But, here's the difference: Windsor's financial advantage entailed going "against the rules" (as you pointed out correctly). London's financial advantage is in keeping with the rules. So, you can't use 'financial advantage' across the board or you're guilty of an equivocation.
In other words, 'financial advantage' is obviously justified when it's done within the rules = London.
'Financial advantage' is not legitimate when it violates league rules = Windsor.

If you'd like to argue that London's 'financial advantage' in bidding for the Memorial Cup should be a violation of league rules, then you'll need a separate argument altogether.