View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 04:04 PM
showtime8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
But Bozak and MacA are also FA's at the end of this season, and combined will probably cost at least $7 mill to resign ... ($3.5 each per season) .. Might as well throw an extra mill at Perry and sign a veteran UFA for that top 9 role for $3 mill

They also have Toni Lydman coming off the books at $3 mill per season, frees up some space
Ok, so let's figure this out. (being serious)

Lets say that Perry gets the same contract as Getzlaf at 8.25. And for arguments sake, Palmieri, McMillan and Belesky make a combined 3 million.

Realistically, you let Lydman walk or sign him (or a UFA) for around 2.5.

So a total of 13.75 with resigning players. So realistically you are looking at a Cap Payroll of around 59 million (ish).

That gives you 5 million to sign 2 forwards and have a depth defenceman. For a cap strapped team, that just doesn't seem like its going to work in my mind. It also suggests that you are going to rely a lot on the 2nd line and I'm not sure if Selanne or Koivu are going to come back. Both those 2 veterans are having very solid years with 17 and 20 point seasons.

I get that the Bozak and MacArthur aren't the most they could get, but the picks are a solid trade asset to have in the off-season.