03-08-2013, 05:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11
Dan Boyle (we'll keep some Cap ) + Ryan Clowe + conditional 3rd (clowe not re-signing) for RNH

Assume you don't bite on this, but it is about as good as Sharks could afford.

What I offered is what I feel is about the best offer I feel the sharks can afford, not what I think would be needed to get the trade done. (answering the OP question). Sharks have no trade value in bottom 6. Other than Clowe, our non-NMC top 6 forwards are Couture (untouchable and in the same class as our Big 4) and
Pavelski (whose value to us is such that a straight up pavelski for RNH is about right, but would have been insulting to you).

Actually, Boyle and Clowe are probably better than you give them credit for. At 36 with 1-1/2 years left on his contract, Boyle is still a top 10 defenseman in the NHL and a top 5 PP QB. Clowe, despite his current snakebit/slightly injured season, is a top 6 with grit and an awesome leader, so is Boyle. Think he and Boyle are exactly what your players need to learn the power game. So, I offered a top pairing D with 2-3 years left in the tank, and a UFA top 6 power forward (if re-signed, probably 3 more "good" years left, too). Assumed it was not enough. I certainly was not trying to be insulting.
Imagine you have a 19 y/o kid recently drafted 1st overall, and you're not in the playoff hunt. Would you trade him for a 36 y/o defenseman and an upcoming UFA?

If SJ wanted any part of the 4 kids, you can't have untouchables. I'd trade Burns straight up for one of them, or Couture for either of Hall or RNH, or I'd add to Pavelski to get any of them. If the Oilers really wanted to make the playoffs, I'd add to either of Thornton or Marleau for any of them.

Edmonton is a very poorly-run organization, but they're not incompetent to pull a Joe Thornton trade 2.0. I know you weren't trying to be insulting, but the offer nevertheless was.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote