View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 06:07 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'm not sure that's true in warmer climates. Maybe it is, but I'm skeptical.

Ice time and equipment alone account for many thousands of dollars over the 15-ish years of development. Add team and league fees, and you're easily into the tens of thousands. Multiply by the number of children involved. It's quite expensive, to the point of being cost prohibitive for a lot of (maybe even most?) people. To comfortably afford it, you'd have to be in the upper middle class at a minimum.

If you're talking about private coaching, camps, regular visits to training facilities, forget it unless you're from an affluent family.
Yeah, Hockey is an expensive sport to play. IMO its never going to be popular in the inner cities like basketball or football.

Seth Jones is a rich kid with a famous father. I don't think its even a big deal anymore that Jones is a black player. Iginla has been one of the leagues biggest and most respected star players over the last 10 years.

If the NHL had a Yao Ming phenom type player coming from China or somewhere... Something like that would get way more media attention and probably have huge marketing potential.