View Single Post
03-08-2013, 10:00 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by HotCoffey View Post
I'm curious as to why you don't put Despres in the lineup? "winning record" with him in the lineup aside, we absolutely NEED him against quicker teams. I think he's been our 2nd best defensive outside of what Paul Martin was doing earlier in the year and he could easily be a top pairing with Letang.

Orpik's played stronger with Martin this year, although he still isn't playing great hockey. He's looked out of it when paired with Tanger. My honest opinion is put him on the 3rd pairing and let Despres finally come up, that leaves Engo and Bort on the bench which I think is only acceptable for Bort right now in his career. Safe to say some move has to be made, or see what you can get for Orpik in the trade market. I'm sure the opposite will happen and we'll let despres or bort go for a winger, and keep the vets dan likes.

But I could be wrong.
I do not think our Defense is bad, I think they lack that individual or catalystistic event that brings them to realize how they have to play. Hopefully last night in Philly was the moment, but who knows. I still think we need a top 4 Dman though for the playoffs. If they don't...

-If Orpik is on the roster for the playoffs, I believe he has to be with Martin only way he can play at a high level (it appears lately)
-Matt Nisky, is a great 5. As much as I enjoy watching him, if he is your 5th then your D core is solid.
-Letang (could get Despres honestly) if there isn't a better option at the deadline, I believe the Pens need to start using the pairing now if they hope to make it great by the playoffs though.
-& Burtozzo has to be the 6th man. Engo, hasn't performed this year and Burtozzo is steadily improving more and more to the point where he could be top 4 on another team.

I would love Despres to be in the line up, if they don't do anything at the deadline for their D. I just don't like how they are using him, if he is not in the Top 4 he should be on the Baby Pens getting those minutes. The competition might not be the same but the workout is and that's what is most important right now. Basically, if he is not with Letang developing that chemistry, he needs to be sent down.

PitPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote