View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I thought the new CBA was supposed to encourage teams to sign players for lower salaries? I guess that whole *****fit the teams threw about the players getting too much money was a load of *********. All that whining and literally zero change.
The cap hit would be less if they could slap on the "retirement" years at the end...but the new CBA prevents that circumvention. That's why it looks like that.

If this was last year, instead of being 8 years 66 million it would be 12 years 70 million...and then we'd be saying things like "bargain" because of the 4 1M years at the end.

I do think it's a little high for Getzlaf, BUT the Ducks aren't gonna spend to the cap anyways so that's not really an issue and they can't afford a Briere/Drury situation with their top 2 players. We know how that plays out...they needed to keep one of them and clearly they prioritized Getzlaf more. It's worth a premium.

Had they done the extension before the lockout, they could have tacked on the extra years and brought the cap hit down, but the real money for the next 8 years isn't going to change so it wouldn't really have made a difference.

Teams are still going to pay a premium for premier talents. It's the depth guys that are gonna get signed for less to compensate.