View Single Post
Old
03-08-2013, 11:48 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I agree with you (although most here will probably disagree) that Plekanec has benefited from having a healthy Gionta. However, I think we're also seeing an early-mid season version of Plekanec, the perception of whom is erased by late-season Plekanec every spring.

Here are Plekanec's hockeyreference monthly career splits:

Oct - 79gp, 35pts - .67ppg
Nov - 92gp, 63pts - .68ppg
Dec - 94gp, 62pts - .66ppg
Jan - 84gp, 62pts - .74ppg
Feb - 95gp, 72pts - .76ppg
Mar - 98gp, 55pts - .56ppg
Apr - 33gp, 11pts - .33ppg

I'd like to see some possession splits too... but these boxcar stats match what I've been seeing over the last few years. IMO Plekanec loses his edge after a season of tough minutes. I don't think it has to do with a higher intensity game (unfortunately the "little girl" comment has reinforced that narrative), I think it's a stamina issue. I'm hoping Therrien can manage his minutes, and maybe Eller can do some heavy lifting at the end of the regular season, because we'll need this mid-season version of Plekanec if we're to do any damage in the playoffs.
Agreed, and I hope MT sees the issue and find a way to fix it. Plekanec shouldnt be the only C to eat the tough minutes, it is asking too much for a single guy... and lest not forget tough minutes basically means going against better players than himself (Crosby, Giroux, etc), while he can do it at the beginning of the season when he's fresh, a few months later the guy's exhausted.

And since he's the one eating the toughest minutes of all our forwards, our coach HAS to keep him fresh all the time.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote