View Single Post
Old
03-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
To be honest I'm not a fan of either team here, in fact I hate the Oilers because I cheer for the Canucks, but after reading what Habs fans say about Gallagher I have to say they are jumping the gun. Just for perspective almost 10 years ago the Canucks had a rookie leading NHL in goals early in the season, his name was Jason King. You may ask why I bring this up, well it's to point out that things don't necessarily last or turn out as good as you think until you see consistency over multiple seasons. Clearly Jason King probably no one remembers. Also since Gallagher used to play for the Giants in Vancouver, I have seen him play up close. He is a skilled player and is feisty. My biggest problems with him is his size and how often he gets creamed going in the dirty areas. Now if I'm not mistaken he has already gotten a concussion this year, so that means he needs to adjust how he plays because when he played for the Giants it was sometimes scary seeing what other guys did to him. Before crowning him better then a guy who is 2 years younger than him we better continue seeing good health and consistent production. Oh and the guy 2 years younger than him was drafted 1st overall, so clearly there must be some good upside. But hey I hope Yakupov is a bust for my own teams sake! Just saying that some of these claims about Gallagher are comical at best
Pretty solid analysis overall, numbers. Gallagher has adjusted his game somewhat to avoid getting crushed against the boards. Prust and Pacioretty have seem to have been a positive influence as he makes excellent use of both when rotating between lines. While I do see a higher ceiling for the kid, if he can maintain the explosive style he's shown this season. Any Hab fan calling him an equal or even superior to Yakupov at this point in time may be a little high on the poutine. It is certainly possible Gallagher is the diamond in the rough player - and Montreal is almost Detroit-lite when it comes to finding them. However, making such a claim now is premature.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote