View Single Post
Old
03-09-2013, 03:54 AM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I might be in the minority on this one, but I think Getzlaf's deal is too much. Yeah, yeah, everyone wants a big #1C, but with the cap going down to 64 million next year, it remains to be seen how the best rosters will be constructed. In my estimation a top heavy roster with a couple of guys making 8 million plus doesn't seem like the best way to build a winner. The exception being if you somehow we able to also bolster the top heavy lineup with guys on ELC's playing above their levels.
This will be the going rate for #1 centres though..over the next few years at least..then it will go up. For the best, like Malkin, it will be approx. $10 million per.

$8 Million per season might seem like a lot right now, with the cap at $64 million next season, but as the cap goes up each year (and it will unless the Canadian dollar goes in the tank) that cap hit will become smaller and smaller. So next year, Getzlaf's cap hit will be 12.5% of the team cap. However, if league revenue increases at a similar rate as that from 2005 - 2012 ($39 million - $70 million), it wouldn't be a surprise to see the cap increase around $3 - $5 million per season.

So for example, 3 seasons from now in 2016, the cap could conceivably be $75 - $80 reducing Getzlaf's cap hit, as a percentage of the team cap from 12.5% to 10.5% - 10%. As time goes on, assuming NHl revenues increase at a similar rate, Getzlaf's contract value will diminish relative to Anaheim's total cap and should allow them to continue signing key RFAs and UFAs.

Personally I think it's a good contract once you consider the new rules with regards to contracts - no cap circumention, meaning no tacked on years at $1 - $3 million per year from years 12 - 15.